Did a quote influence you so much that it changed your mindset?
Is there any philosophy that is at the core of your every decision?
Well, I have one. A quote from the legendary Steve jobs’ commencement address at the Standford University in 2005 resonates in my mind every day.
“I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”
From the past few years, I made some major decisions that were inspired by the above words. This sense of mortality questioned the purpose of my existence.
If I were to die today, what will be my contribution to this world? Will I perish away unremembered?.
When I started observing, I found that each one of us has a unique story to tell to the world. We can pass our wisdom, our learnings(however small they may be) and our solutions to the problems we face, to the coming generations so that they need not reinvent the wheel.
The Pros and Cons of my revelation that life is short are listed below:
- I wrote a book ‘Ctrl + Alt+Del’ (Transform your problems into accomplishments) about overcoming problems in life using a simple approach and published it on amazon. This was something unimaginable even to me. Till then, I didn’t have even a blog nor did I write to any publications. I was an ordinary software engineer with a crazy idea. I published the book with a sense of urgency because somehow I madly believed that if I were to die the next day, my ideas would never reach others.
- I started working on my public speaking skills. Again this is to share my thoughts with as many people as possible.
- I started this blog to tell about my unique experiences. .
- I stopped holding grudges. If no one is going to live permanently, why should we spend our precious time sulking?
- I stopped worrying about silly things, stopped looking too much into future and started living on a day to day basis.
Occasionally, I exploit this quote to satisfy my craving for junk food. During that time, I eat all that I want guiltlessly, telling myself that I may not live to see my overweight body 🙂
I had more pros than cons when I followed this quote. Therefore, the reminder of mortality continues to inspire me.
If today were the last day of your life, what would you do?