“Why should I write? ”
Every time I get back to writing after a long hiatus, I ask myself this question.
Does it make any difference if I don’t write?
What have I missed when I didn’t put my thoughts into words?
Did I lose anything at all?
As I try to answer these questions, time and again, the same reasons pop up in my mind.
Pros of writing
- Writing helps me to preserve my thoughts. I get countless thoughts throughout the day and if I don’t put them into writing, they are dead. I forget all of them and the next day, I don’t even remember what I thought the previous day.
- Writing makes me feel alive. The days I don’t write I feel as if I am a robot doing my chores without any emotion, without any reasoning and without any purpose.
- Writing helps me organize my thoughts. Otherwise, I feel my mind is like a house in a mess with shoes on the sofa, books on the carpet and coffee cups on the bed. Once I clean up my house i.e write my thoughts , I know who I am and what I am doing with my life.
- Writing makes me think and form opinions. Otherwise I’m like a sponge absorbing the vast amount of information around me.
- Writing makes me feel that I am contributing something to this world.
Cons of writing
- Writing is hard work. Reading a book or watching TV or staying up to date on facebook is easier.
- Writing shows me who I am when I don’t want to face my true self.
- Writing mirrors my thoughts when I want to escape from the reality.
After weighing the pros and cons with great difficulty, I want to face the world within me bravely. I want to conquer my fears. I want to awaken the fire within me which had been dormant. I want to unleash the power which once had shown me the direction of my life. And with ‘Writing 101’, I hope I can get back on track.
Dear friends , what is your writing experience ? Do you write intermittently? What brings you back to writing?